- Listen and try to understand where they are coming from. Determine the source of the negativity. Are they going through a hard time in their personal life or are they stressed about work?
- Make helpful suggestions, many times people complain when they are looking for advice.
If steps one and two don’t work….Follow steps three through five
- Try to limit the amount of time you spend with that person. Some people just want to complain, don’t let their negativity bring you down.
- If you need to talk to that person on a regular basis, try and steer the conversation in a positive direction. Sometimes people just need a little push to see the glass half full
- Avoid getting sucked the gossip or drama. Limit your comments about other co-workers and try and steer the conversation to another more positive topic.